Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Job

This month is my two year anniversary working at a dental lab. I tell a lot of people where I work and what I do, but I alway find it difficult to explain without showing it. So I took a few pics while at work this week. I had to use the camera on my phone and I did not get very clear photos, but you can kind of get the idea of what I do.

I build the crown on the model of the mouth out of wet porcelain.


I use a small paint brush to pick up the different shades of porcelain off of my tray shown here. However the difference in shades only show up after they have been baked. They are all pink and blue before that.

Then I put the crown in an oven and it comes out looking like a real tooth! I still thinks it's crazy that something that looks like it was made out of play dough can turn into this after ten minutes in an oven.


I really enjoy my job and it has taken a long time for me to get skilled enough where I would want to show it off. I still can't do veneers or antieror bridges, but maybe someday....


3 comments:

T-Money said...

Will you get me teeth for my birthday when I get old? And what's with going all top secret and making me log in to see your blog?

Bre said...

Just get gold teeth when you're old. And I went private because I'm posting pics from work.

shelly said...

ah, good to know. Both about why you went private and more of what goes on there at work. Cool.